Is this what life has become....?



Yesterday I got together with my sister and our friend for a catch up. Now, between the 3 of us we have 8 children (and one on the way! Not me!! Are you wise!?) and 6 of the 8 were 4 years old and under. Needless to say we got together at one of our houses because, seriously, where are we going to take a crowd like that in public?!
My sisters house is the ideal place for a get together like this because it is, how do I put this......spatially well-endowed. To give you an idea of how big it is, she was once asked by our cousins child if her house was a mansion and that child is from Canada where everything is bigger so the answer is yes son, yes it is a mansion!
While we were there we attempted to drink our tea while convincing the children to go across the hall and play in the playroom (A playroom, I know!! I'm 100% happy for her and not at all jealous....) and we were getting caught up with everything going on in each other's lives. We've been friends a long time, before husbands and children, so our get togethers of old would have consisted of a lot less baby bottles and tea and a lot more beer bottles and tequila. But we're 10 years older now so things are slightly different. Most of the conversation centred around the children, but let's face it, there's 8-and-a-bit of them so there's a lot to say! And I hadn't seen our friend since I'd moved to the 'new house' so part of the conversation was taken up by talking about this. Now here's where it gets strange, during a monologue about my new tumble dryer, I had an out of body experience. And here's how it went....
Me: Ohhh! The utility room has changed my life, its brilliant to be able to close the door and not see the mess.
Friend: Ow god aye, that's brilliant.
Sister: I know it's brilliant!
(My sisters utility room is bigger than my kitchen...but I'm like 90% happy for her and only 10% jealous....)
Me: And even better, we got our new tumble dryer delivered there on Monday and its amazing!
Sister: I put EVERYTHING in the tumble dryer! (Fancy digital tumble dryer AND a laundry chute....like 80% happy 20% jealous....)
Friend: I know, my mother always raves about having a great washing line but I stick everything in the tumble dryer.
Me: Me too! It was a pain in the arse before because we dried everything on a clothes horse so could only do one load a day! So I had 3 washing baskets on the go! Monday I did about 5 loads of washing....
I kept going on and on here about a 9kg load in the dryer etc but the inner 'good craic' me left my body and hovered over my head looking down and shaking her head. "
"Love, what in under god have you become!?" She says. "Listen to yourself daughter! You're boring yourself! You're boring me and god love these two entertaining you! It might be the last time you see them and I wouldn't be surprised! I swear if you don't wise the f up now I'm away on and I'll not be back!" 
Although I haven't seen 'good craic' me for a while or haven't had much excuse to bring her out, I definitely don't want her clearing off for good. Some day, in the future, I won't feel like the walking dead (she says with hope rather than certainty...) and a social life that doesn't involve maternity leggings and Mammy's perfume aka baby vomit may start up again! So to keep her happy I ceased all talk of laundry and suggested our next outing could involve the daddies 'parenting' their children and the mammies consuming some alcohol. We all agreed that this was a great idea! Woohoo!! 🙌🏻 I'm good craic again!! Knowing us and the logistics of organising such an outing it will happen around Christmas 2018 but sure it will give us something to look forward to! 
Hold on....there's the beeper away on the tumble dryer, better go and sort out load number three of the day....

Comments